With these 6 tips I've built a life where I trade for roughly half an hour daily. And yes, my account is decent sized. And yes, trading is my primary income source. It's been a journey of learning, growing, and adapting, but with the right tools and mindset, you to can pave your path to building passive income through trading.
1. Build Watchlists (and keep them updated): I keep watch lists of my 'top' companies. I have watchlists for multiple sectors, companies that make money, and the most liquid stocks in the market. It's VERY important to draw weekly support and resistance lines for quick reference on the stocks you trade the most!
2. Set Alerts: Instead of watching for a pull back or relying on technical indicators, like the MacD Cross, I use tradingview and or my broker's alerts to notify me. These notification are highly customizable and go directly to my phone, so I'm always in the loop even if I'm not near the screen.
3. Quick Morning Review: Every morning I take a brief look at pre-market data for SPY and QQQ. No one knows where the market is going to go, but looking every morning gives me an understanding of where the moving averages lie, and keeping up with the market every day (even if it's just for 2 minutes) is crucial for building market awareness, spotting support and resistance points, and staying informed.
4. Plan Ahead: I familiarize myself with the key events for the upcoming week. This includes earnings reports, federal reserve meetings, or significant economic data. Being proactive keeps you prepared. Even though we don't know exactly what will happen, knowing that a binary event is coming up is key to my trading. We discuss this in our discord!
5. Trade the plan: I stick to my plan, I go through my watchlists and look for trades using a plan I've build and believe in. I change my plan as the market conditions change, but knowing the plan, believing in the plan, and executing my plan is like second nature to me. It's become mechanical so there is no emotional trading!
6. Immediate GTC Orders: Once my trade fills, I instantly set a Good Till Cancelled (GTC) order for my profit target. This ensures I capitalize on price movements, while I'm not watching in real-time. I have GTC orders sometimes fill the same day while I'm doing other things not even looking at the market.
These tips are how I make money in the market. I have a lot of experience, and I've optimized my trading routine to fit into just about 30 minutes a day. I've been doing this a while so it might take you longer at first, but this is exactly the things I do to minimize my screen time and make money in the market! If I can do this you can too.
If you found this useful let me know! I love talking to people interested in trading (a quick thanks is always nice too). If you want more information you should join the GKT discord to discuss these tips in more detail and connect with like minded people who trade the stock market!
Happy Trading Good Kids!